As a future special education teacher I am not going to have your "typical classroom" there are many neat things available for special education students to benefit from. So if I was blessed with unlimited resources to design my perfect classroom that will stimulate my students and provide a learning atmosphere here is what I would include....
A smart board for advanced technological and interactive learning.
A huge sensory center with a sand table, water table, play dough table and a miscellaneous table for the sensory activity of the day which could be magnets, rice or ice.
A motor center with huge gym mats, platform swings, a rock wall, trampoline and cardio equipment for when the students need a gross motor break or to get some energy out.
A flourished art center with easels, huge storage area for all art supplies labeled by picture and word so the students will associate them with the art supply. This center would be decorated by students own work.
A quiet, reading, calming center where students can go if they are feeling over stimulated or need a break which would include a book shelf, pillows, bean bags and also a fish tank.
A huge wall mirror to use for self awareness, or role modeling. I think mirrors can provide a different perspective of oneself that some aren't used to. Mirrors can also be used to encourage self confidence or compare/contrasting.
I would have live plants scattered all over the room and it would be the students responsibility to take care of them.
I would want a full functioning kitchen where we can do cooking projects. Cooking projects not only promote self help and independence skills but also incorporate math skills (time and measuring), social skills (working together as a team) and also patience.
Finally, each individual in the class, including the teacher, will have their own work area. It will be a designated place for direct instruction or "book work", an area to keep their work in progress and belongings organized. Each person having their own space will also provide them with a sense of self and their own "home base" in their classroom. I feel this is a very important aspect of a classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment