Tuesday, December 2, 2014

CCSS activity two- source 1

Source: Kathleen Porter-Magee's "Implementing Common Core with Struggling Readers"
http://edexcellence.net/commentary/education-gadfly-daily/common-core-watch/implementing-the-common-core-with-struggling

I choose this source first because the title caught my eye, being a special education major I am more interested in how to get struggling students to meet CCSS.

As i began reading the articel I relazed the auothur is also a blogger.
I felt a sense of hosititlity to CCSS when she refers to it as having "rigor demands".
When she says "my support for the Common Core literacy standards stems from three things" she lists the three key shifts for teaching common core that I incorporated into my blog for CCSS activity one.
This was reinforcing for me because here I am being exposed to those key shifts again and allows me to see those shifts used in a different context.

Kathleen makes an interesting point, which I took as opposing standardized testing, when she says research shows "an individual’s reading level ebbs and flows depending on the content covered, the vocabulary used, the syntax, and on". To summarize in my own words: a student's reading level could be based on their level of interest in the material, lack of interest will result in lack of comprehension.

I liked how Kathleen introduced me to a new term "educational malpractice". I never heard that before, but I feel like it is the same as setting student up for failure.

In response to Kathleen's questions at the end I would like to suggest focusing on the importance of how teachers can leave "breadcrumb trails" for students that may have difficulties. Teachers can do this by setting up questions leading students to an appropriate response, also arranging questions so it promotes students to think critically and incorporate problem solving skills.
When she asks how to "focus on knoweldge building in a ever minute counts school" I would suggest using every oppurtunity for incidential teaching by relating any indicdent or discussion that may relate to the text. Teachers could also tie aspects of text into other lesson plans to show how the text can be associated through various lessons in attempt to spark connections and associations between all subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment