Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Club 4

This was our book club's final meeting and was focused on chapters 31 to the end of the book. Again, we had a member missing so we did not get to see how she feels about the end of the book.
I found that we all noticed how the end of the book really tied together a lot of lose ends in the story and ended in a very positive way. Our book club made connections to the many aspects of education such as inclusion and special needs that they discussed in the book
As a reflection- I cant say this experience sparked my interest in joining any other book club. I do enjoy reading, but prefer to keep it to myself. I can understand why people join books clubs though, maybe the same reason adults join a book club as if a young student in a readers workshop...sometimes reading things together and discussing the text in a group helps you to gain a better understanding or see different opinions/perspectives.
I did enjoy this book, as did our entire book club. I feel as though it was a great choice for our book club because we are all special education majors and we were able to tie in a lot of aspects of the special education field to Caitlin's journey through the book. Most of all, we were able to see how Caitlin benefited from special education related services and how she overcame a very difficult situation.
Being a part of a reader's workshop re-exposed me to the benefits of a reader's workshop, by discussing the text, hearing other's perspectives, thoughts and opinions. It has been a very long time since I have discussed a book in a setting like this. I am interested to see the comparison/contrast we will make to writing workshops now.

No comments:

Post a Comment