Does collaborative learning support literacy?
A simple answer to that question: yes.
How do I know?
After our experiences in class, working in groups for reading and writing workshops,not only did I get a lot of great input from my peers at a college level, but it brought back a lot of memories from grade school working in small groups with peers in these reading and writing workshops.
Now as an adult and a future teacher I feel stronger about how collaborative learning supports literacy. I was never the best student when I was little so reading and writing workshops were intimidating for me, but now as college senior I can see how I have come a very long way in my education. Learning collaboratively supports literacy learners by allowing students to gain more ideas, hear different perspectives, and receive constructive criticism on their work from their peers.
A big way collaborating helps writers is...if you are in a group you get to hear from your audience....instead of just seeing the piece from your own perspective As a writer you want to captivate your audience and satisfy them with your writing so hearing their feedback can help you do that.
Working collaboratively in reading groups helps to support literacy learning because maybe you are in a reading group with someone who helps you realize you missed a key aspect in the plot. Or maybe you are in a reading group with someone who role play with in order to comprehend the material.
It's like the great saying goes..."Two minds are better than one". Collaborative learning supports literacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment