In my last blog, I was at the beginning of writing my narrative piece.
I mentioned I was torn about what specific experience to write about for the memoir genre.
Then I thought.... who says a memoir has to be about one specific experience.
In fact, dictionary.com says a memoir is "an account of one's personal life and experiences"...note experiences, plural.
So came my decision to include both the experiences I was torn to pick from.
Based on this decision, I laid the "framework" or "landscape" for this narrative piece, my memoir.
The other decision I had to make was how I wanted to tell my story, what perspective should I go with (taking into consideration it is a narrative), third person,? What time frame...then or now?
This decision was a little more difficult to come to, so I did what I always do, my writing process...
This begins with me typing out all my thoughts, ideas, and subjects I want to include. I call this "word vomit".
From there, I organize this "word vomit" by grouping the ideas and subjects together, the idea is that these groupings eventually turn into praragraphs.
I use this for the basis of my thesis.
When I got to this point I was able to shape a perspective which I feel tells my memoir best.
I am happy with the way it came out, I feel as though my narrative piece in the memoir genre meets the characteristics of the genre by depicting my memorable experiences, and relates how they influenced me.
No comments:
Post a Comment